Listen your way into 100s of books a year
For all of you out there that want to read more but just don't have time, you can have your cake and eat it! Or in this case you can listen to your favourite book and <insert any activity here>….
Before my enlightenment on audiobooks, anytime I heard the term ‘Audio Book’ my mind would conjure up images of cassette tapes, quiet corners in the library and analog radio playing “radio drama" on Sunday afternoons.
I have probably revealed a bit too much about my self and my age, but if you’re still wondering how young I am please check out my “About Me” page. For those born a couple of years after me ;) wondering what this “cassette tape” thing is let me explain......you could “download” = “tape” any song any time without any one knowing or complaining about copyright and then Napster came and ruined it all for us.
OK I over exaggerated and I’m getting off topic.
Back to Audio Books!
Way back in the 1920s the Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) was investing in the use of the long-play record as a viable means of producing the spoken-word novel, but it wasn’t until the 1930s in America that the first talking book was created as part of the “Books for the Adult Blind Project”, featuring Helen Keller and The Bible. Following this, in November 1935, the first recorded novel in the UK was delivered by the RNIB and that book was “The murder of Roger Ackroyd" by Agatha Christie.
Fast forward to today and the Audible.com library contains over 325,000 audio books as of 2016. Audio books have far super seeded their original intent and target audience with projections that
2017 will be the biggest year yet for audiobooks
Mark Pearson of Libro.FM believes
we’ll see digital audiobooks reach 90% market share, leaving only 10% for CDs
and if you are interested in more statistics then head over to Good Reader.
What does that mean for you?
Well that means that you can get access to more and more audiobook titles then ever before. You are no longer restricting your self to reading "when I have time” or “when the kids are asleep"
I am addicted to this new book movement so much so that ONE I get through at least 4 books a month in this format and TWO I have time for reading EVERY day.
When I hear people say to me I don’t have time to read my answer is always have you tried Audible?
I listen to my audio books while I drive to and from work (2 hours a day), cook dinner, wash dishes, exercise, put my little one to sleep and the list goes on.
So if you are wondering how to get onto this new craze the options are endless, here are some I have tried.
You can purchase the book download
Audible (USD$15/month) First 30 days free
LibriVox (FREE) Keep
Scribd (USD$9/month) Keep
Downpour ($13/month) Keep
Have a browse of the links provide and let me know what you think of audiobooks.